Mar 9, 2010

Beauty & the Beast


Last Friday Lilly & I had a date night. Larry scored a free family pass to see Beauty & the Beast by our local Academy of Children's Theatre. So, that's what we did. The show started at 7 and we got there about 5 minutes early and found our seats. Lilly wasn't quite sure what to think, she thought it was going to be a 'movie' and didn't understand when I explained that it would be real people like playing dress up's.
Once it started she was pretty riveted. The lady in front of her kept leaning over to whisper to her neighbor so Lilly had to keep leaning her head side side to be able to see. The first half she was very quiet.
After Intermission, at 8:30, she began her series of questions. Starting off with, Can I have a snack?, a drink?. The rest of intermission I spent answering questions such as; Why isn't Belle's dad short? (like the movie) Where's Philipe? How come Gaston loves Belle? Why did the lights go off? Why did Lafoo (sp?) fall on the ground and do those crazy things?
Finally, intermission was over and she was back to being quiet, except for her comment to me in her most serious voice,"Mom,Gaston is my favorite. He's soo handsome and I like his yellow shirt." It was my favorite moment of the night. I even asked her after the show if she liked the Prince and she was still in love with Gaston. She even informed me that once Gaston fell off the porch, Lafoo took him to the doctor so he could feel better. That eventually ran into her asking questions like "Who does Gaston marry?" UM... at that moment I decided it was time to call Daddy and let her talk to him on our drive home. And she did talk for 12 of the 15 minutes it took.
I really enjoyed the play and was impressed with the acting, though I was expecting more children/teenagers to be in it- most of the main characters were adults. I'd definitely take the girls to another one of their plays.

Amelia would have gone too if I thought she could sit still for more than 5 minutes but alas... she did not. Amelia went with Daddy on a date to Dairy Queen because she loves ice cream. She ate hers faster than Daddy did.

0 comments: