Dec 24, 2008

Getting Into the HOLIDAY


Each of us has OUR own way of getting into the Christmas Spirit! I was struggling at the beginning of this month to feel it. We started off probably like most others by setting up our Christmas Tree over Thanksgiving weekend. It wasn't momentous by any means, just an evening spent with the family, complete with arguments over who got to put up which ornaments. Once ALL the decorations were out it still didn't quite feel like Christmas to me. I listened to Christmas music at home, while driving, and even at work. While it was fun to sing along to the songs I knew & hum at the ones I did not (Even though I was informed by my husband that I was acting like an old lady by playing soo much Christmas music) there was still something missing.
It wasn't until we spent the evening driving around looking at CHRISTMAS LIGHTS that it hit me. As I looked at all the pretty homes decorated for the holidays, it was the voice behind me that finally got me into the Spirit of Christmas. I could hear Lilly as she would suck her breath because she was WOWED by the lights, her exclamations of "Mommy, did you see THAT one?", "That is so BEautiFUL, I love IT!", "It's SANTA mommy! Can you see SANTA?". Her eyes were bright, her voice so full of amazement & cheer. THAT is the magic of Christmas, watching & listening to your children SEEING Christmas from THEIR eyes and hearts. I don't think I've ever enjoyed our family Christmas Lights drive as much as I did this year.
After that Lilly & I have made cookies, we sing more songs & have watched the cartoon Christmas Movies together. Amelia "helped" as much as she could too. She loves to dance & stick her fingers in cookie dough. Her favorite is when I give the girls their own bells to shack while we're dancing around.

1 comments:

Rebecca

What a sweet example of holiday spirit. Those moments with our children are so precious. I'd probably be a bit of a scrooge without mine around--they sure make the holidays special.

Wish we had been there to celebrate with you---maybe next year?