Dec 28, 2010

Trying our BEST to get to Disneyland!

Tuesday was a crazy high stress day! I spent the morning packing.. and thinking of all the possible things that we may need and questioning whether I should pack those things as well. Larry said I was driving him crazy and that from this point forward, any flight we book HAS to be in the morning so I won't have all day to "re-think" about what I should/should not pack.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 5:30 accourding to the online flight status. We left the house at 3:00 and headed for McDonald's so the girls could run around and eat before getting on the plane. Josh & Megan were already at the airport waiting for their flight to take off- it had been delayed a couple hours. At 3:45 I checked our flight status, since Josh's was delayed I was praying ours wasn't. My prayers were answered just not how I was expecting- our flight was CANCELLED! Not delayed, but now obsolete.

The FOG was too thick for any planes to land or take off so Josh & Megan's flight was eventually cancelled as well. Larry, being of sound mind (unlike my hysterical self) went into the airport to see what our option were. OPTION #1: Wait until Thursday (the soonest flight available out of Tri-cities) and hope that the Fog has cleared by then. OPTION #2: Drive to Yakima and get on a flight Wednesday at 11- we wouldn't get into Santa Ana until 7pm (So we would miss 1 whole day of Disney fun). OPTION #3: Drive to Portland and get on a flight at 7AM and get to Santa Ana by 9:30.

So, of course, I chose the craziest option #3. It was already after 5 so we got the kids in the car, made a hotel reservation and away we drove! Larry drove through the fog and rain. We got to the hotel around 10 and went straight to bed. Amelia woke up around 2:30am and kept me awake from that point forward. We piled into the car in the rain and got to the Portland airport with time to spare.

The flight was good. Gage was nervous about not having flown in a long time so he didn't want to eat breakfast for fear of throwing it up during flight. Amelia did good until the end when she started SCREAMING and kicking because her ears were hurting so bad. She eventually cried herself to sleep and slept the remaining 20 minutes until landing. The rest of us did just fine, even Gage survived.

We de-planed (Did I mention I was crazy and we brought only carry-on bags?) with 5 duffel bags, 1 backpack, 3 purses, 1 stroller, arms full of coats and hats and a sleeping toddler on my shoulder. Grandpa found us just fine and to the hotel we drove.... IN THE RAIN!

YEAH- WE MADE IT!!!

1 comments:

Rebecca

Wow I hadn't heard the FULL STORY. Why does traveling always have to be full of kinks huh? But, yours is memorable and that makes it worthwhile.