At school Gabe did a project for their Holocaust Museum. He and his partner chose to do theirs on the Auschwitz Complex. He used monopoly houses and hotels as his buildings (he spray painted them first), sandpaper to represent the dirt roads, wire for the fencing and he did a pretty good job of keeping it all to scale. We went on Thursday night to the Open House for the Museum. It is such a sad topic and reminds me of when I read Number the Stars in Middle School.
Some of the facts about this camp; Auschwitz Comlex was made up of 48 camps, with 3 main ones- which are the ones Gabe did the models of Auschwitz I, II, & III.
Auschwitz III (below) was the labor camp.
Auschwitz I (above) was more of the administrative center but still the site of 70,000 thousand deaths, mostly prisoners of war.
Auschwitz II (above) was the main concentration camp- the site of the deaths of at least 960,000 Jews, 75,000 Poles, and some 19,000 Roma.
I can't even fathom the heartache and devastation.
Gabe did a great job on his project! As sad as it is to hear of all the horror, it's a good reminder for us today of how lucky we are and to be grateful for what we have.
1 comments:
wow! Impressive work Gabe!
I just read a book about a POW in Japan during WW2---war stories tear my heart--makes me so grateful for what I have.
Post a Comment