Aug 12, 2010

Gage at 17

He still doesn't like to have his picture taken! Imagine that? I have to beg, plead and finally threaten him to take even a decent picture. He was completely out of it all day long on Saturday from the long bike ride. Thankfully, Sunday he was better so we could celebrate with him a little bit. I tried to beg, plead and threaten him into having his own birthday party, but even after trying ALL that he still wouldn't comply. So, it was just us, one big happy family celebrating him turning 17! Here's a synopsis of our day, without a gazillion pictures like Lilly's post. His choice, NOT mine.

We had our family birthday breakfast of yummy donuts! Lilly wanted the candles lit, like she had, and she also had to give him the flute glass, just like she had! I sure hope she'll remember to remind me on everyone's birthday. We sang to him at breakfast too, most of us in our PJ's and unshowered, it was great.

Not much else happened until dinner (except for church). Gage took pity on me since we were all tired, me included, and didn't get mad at me for not wanting to make any dinner. Instead, we enjoyed one of Gage's favorite meals, CEREAL! Yes, we really ate cereal for Gage's bday dinner- I know, I'm a slacker of the worst kind. But it REALLY is one of his favorites and I preferred that to one of his other favorites.... Ramen Noodles.

His cake (again- no judgement on me please! I am already planning his next birthday in my head so this won't happen) consited of several leftover donuts from breakfast. It made a nice cake and great candle holders.





We did have presents for him to open. There were only a few plus the Grandparent cards but that was because his BIG present was already sitting in the driveway!

He got his very own NEW, yet used, CAR! It may not be spectacular but it runs great, has low miles and will hopefully drive him through the college years until he can buy his own car. One of his presents was a steering wheel cover for the Buc's- to personalize his car a little bit! He didn't get to drive away off to his friends, this car is manual- and so he's got a mission to learn how to drive stick! At least if he wants to drive, he'll learn. :)

Doesn't he look thrilled having his picture taken? Yeah.. worse than the girls wiggling when i try to take theirs. I sure hope he isn't sarcastic for his Senior Pics!

17 Things I Love about GAGE!

1. His BIG heart. He loves his family, especially his little sisters. He shows it more than he voices it, but I can see it!
2.Willingness to tackle big things- he took 3 AP classes in one semester!! Very brave & he worked hard in all of them.  
3.He cannot tell a Lie- it's true- he is not very good at covering up the evidence when he sneaks a snack!
4.Stamina- I can't remember the late nights and early mornings but he seems more adept at it than I ever was.
5.He is a good listener for his friends. He is always telling me how his friends enjoy talking to him because he lets them talk while he listens to them.
6.Super EASY to buy for. As long as it fits.. he'll usually wear it unless it's completely hideous, or it happens to have a collar on it- not a fan of collars unless it's required.
7.Watching him grow. He used to be real timid, we couldn't get him to give a speech to save his life and NOW he is one of the best presenters/speakers in his classes. I like to think I had a little to do with that. Remember those Summer Essay's I had you write and present to Dad & I?
8. I love the fact that he still watches Drake & Josh, ICarly and Zack & Cody. partly because i like these shows too and if he's watching them.. i can too. Some of his other fav's are; Full House, Fresh Prince & 70's Show. He is NOT a fan of scary horror movies- me neither. 
9.I can trust him with the girls. I know the girls are safe with him because he'd do anything & everything for them. Unconditionally.
10.I do like to tease him, but he isn't very good at taking sarcasm or jokes. Much better at dishing it out. He has a slightly sarcastic attitude, like I do, when it comes to dealing with situations.
11.Hanging out with Dad. Despite their bickering, Gage loves to play games with his Dad.
12.Our bonding moments driving to his various dr. appts. Between his teeth, toe, back and regular illness- we spent a lot of time driving back and forth between appointments.
13.Love the few moments when he & Gabe get along. Especially when I can hear them laughing together over something silly.
14.He always tries to change the topic when the rest of the family starts talking about farting. At least he tries still, I gave up years ago.
15.Texting girls. I'll never forget the week of girls camp when his phone rarely rang. I think he was super bored cause he had no one to text.
16.He usually takes my side of an argument, and will take over the arguing for me even when Dad gets mad.
17.Of course, I have to love that he let's me get away with what appears to be a "lame" birthday but he knows that I care and that he's special.  

I captured a good, natural smile- yeah me! Happy Birthday Gage!

0 comments: