It all started at the crack of dawn- unintentionally of course cause I'm not that crazy. Gage set his alarm clock for 6:15 PM instead of AM so there was a loud knock on the door at 6:20 that he was not awake to answer... so I made Larry answer it instead. It was Gage's ride to their big long bike ride this morning, so Larry woke him up and he had only minutes to get ready and out the door. Once he left, I was already awake so I set forth to make a special breakfast. Lilly sat and watched cartoon's with Larry.
This was her breakfast feast! She wants to make sure I add that Daddy sprayed whip cream in her mouth from the can. It was nice sitting and eating breakfast as a family, during the summer time that's become a rarity.
THE PARTY
We started off the party by making a necklace. We glued scrapbook paper to both sides of a washer and strung it on a colored ribbon. The girls did great and it was quick enough that none of them got overly bored. And it was simple enough for ME to do too.
After making their necklaces they were all ready to go outside and play on the slip n slide and in the pool and run around the backyard. It was fun listening to 8 little girls scream in the backyard! I was amazed at how well they all got along and took turns without any supervision. What a great bunch of girls!!
Lilly picked out a blue UNICORN pinata early last week. She said she HAD to have one at her party so of course Larry & I agreed. Larry, James, Jared & Gabe got it all set up in the backyard for us. The girls all took turns swinging the bat and hitting him but in the end- Larry broke it open for them.
Once it was open, the girls all got to run onto the tarp on "GO" and fill up their little party bags. I didn't want angry parents when the kids went home with bags full of sugar so I mixed it up with little toys, chapsticks, notebooks, pencils, erasers, splash balls, bracelets and rings! It was a pretty big hit and now Amelia wants one for her party too.
Inside we went for some cupcakes, strawberries, watermelon and apples! Once they were done, a few of the girls started trickling on home so it was back outside for some playtime.
Here's some of our random pictures of ALL the girls playing. I"m a little sad I didn't get a group picture of them all but sometimes action shots can be more fun!
Lilly talked to her friends, showed them her toys & shared, played and had a great time. She thought it was the best fun ever. I'm glad that I overcame my "unpartiness" and had a party for her special day! Being such a big success makes the thought of having another one in the future less daunting. Hopefully, it will be one of my traits that none of my children get from me!
Next UP is the FAMILY BBQ!!
I told Lilly that she couldn't open her presents until Grammy & Grandpa got there. So, from the moment her last friend left she was asking me "when are they gonna get here", "what's taking Grammy so long?" until they finally got there. Unfortunatly, once they got there, Larry was doing the grilling and she had to wait even a little longer. When, at last, it was time she was ecstatic!
Her first present- opening her card from Grandma Peggy & Grandpa Gordon- she let out a loud "ah-hah!" as she held up her 2 $20 bills! (when i asked her today what she wanted to do with her birthday money her response was "go shopping at tjmaxx,duh MOM" and yes, she really did say duh). 
When Lilly had her sleepover with Grace at Grammy's house back in May, she asked Grammy when she was going to make her a Princess Tiana pillow case. The answer: ON HER BIRTHDAY! She actually doesn't want to put it on her pillow "so it won't get dirty" she says. Silly girl!!
Opening a not so exciting gift from mom & dad- books.
Just threw in the picture cause she looks so darn CUTE!
Planning a party took my time away from making a special cake so she had plain ol' frosted cupcakes, but she did pick out NEON food coloring for the frosting. One of her favorite parts of birthday's are the candles, she thinks everyone has to have candles on their birthdays.
After opening up her gifts, it was time to eat. Larry grilled us some burgers & dogs to eat. I made guacamole so I had a yummy guacamole burger, which is one of my favorites. Lilly wanted a cheeseburger with nothing on it, she was so full from eating so much fruit with her friends that she didn't eat very much. Josh showed up during dinner, Megan had to work so he came solo. Lilly was happy to see him but asked later why he didn't bring her a present. She answered her own question by saying that he must have forgot it. So, Josh if you EVER read this, you OWE your neice a present for her 5th Birthday! :) Tif & Quinn called on Skype and we listened as Quinn sang Lilly the Happy Birthday song all by himself. It was a pretty sweet solo.
After dinner & cupcakes, Lilly stacked, sorted, moved, restacked her presents in several different piles around the house. She wanted them ALL in whichever room she was in at the moment. Here's a shot of her in the family room with her gifts all around.
5 Things I Adore about Lilly
1. I love her smile. Especially when she smiles so BIG her little dimples show.
2. When she goes in BIG sister mode. She'll fetch bandaid's, offer a hug and even hold Amelia when she's hurting.
3. Watching her overcome an obstacle. Asking the cashier if she can swap a toy, jumping even when she's scared, learning & reading new words despite being frustrated. I see perseverance in her.
4. Quoting her family. It shows me how much she looks up to us and admires us. Yesterday, she said "what the heck?", definitely a Gage line.
5. Her HUGS. She still loves to snuggle with Mommy and I am still in love with her snuggles. She is always giving her hugs away and I admit that I take most of them.
HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY LILLY! YOU ARE GETTING BIGGER MY SWEET!


0 comments:
Post a Comment